Thursday, March 10, 2011

Codfish Sticks

This post is dedicated to all mothers, that just like me, are struggling to get their little children to eat fish. As soon as you pronounce the word "fish" your son runs away and when you finally got him, his lips are sealed with superattack (Italian strong glue)? ...
Yes ...?
 Then you have got my same problem! I've tried everything: stewed or mashed with the vegetables sole, with the sauce but he won't listen, he didn't want to hear of it. The pediatrician kept telling me: "the fish is crucial in children's diets, it is rich in protein, vitamins, minerals, omega 3 etc...".
 So I continued to insist until the day he finally ate codfish sticks, in other words, the breaded ones that can be found in supermarkets.
Hurray!
 Then one day, while I was flipping through the magazine "Ok Salute" (Health Ok), I came across an article talking about this topic, they suggested children-oriented way to cook fish, including the codfish sticks. It can be easily prepared at home.
Since then I prepare them in the following way (not only for my son, also for us):


Ingredients for 4 persons:

Codfish steak (fresh or frozen) 400 g (14 oz)
1 egg
Salt to taste
Parsley to taste
Flour to taste
Breadcrumbs to taste
1 Lemon Juice
Olive oil to taste
Cut the fish steaks and sprinkle with lemon juice (I used the frozen ones so I simply cut in half lengthwise, if you are using the fresh ones cut in order to have a 1 cm thick slices). Beat the egg with salt and chopped parsley by using a fork. Put the flour in a dish and the breadcrumbs in another. Then flour the codfish steaks at first (picture 1), pass them in the egg, then roll in the breadcrumbs and in the end arrange them on a baking tray covered with baking paper (picture 2). Finish with a drizzle of olive oil (picturee 3) and bake at 200 °C (400°F) for 20 minutes. Serve, if desired, with other lemon.
Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment